The following research into the family is based on records such as births, deaths and marriages and may be subject to errors. Special thanks to Barry R. Huntsinger and his many researchers credited below who solved the puzzle of James Mitchell. 
For the information on the family of Janet Mitchell and David William Robbie credit must go to a descendant Francine Adderton.
If anyone has any additional information they want added, please contact us.
William and Ann (Fraser) Mitchell
William and Ann (Fraser) Mitchell were the parents of David Mitchell and his brothers and sisters.
William Mitchell was born December 11, 1791 in Brechin, Angus, Scotland and died May 1, 1849 in North Meathie, Forfar, Angus, Scotland. He married Anne Fraser August 8, 1824 in Brechin, Angus, Scotland. She was born 1806 in Couper, Angus, Scotland and died April 11,1864 in North Meathie, Forfar, Angus, Scotland, daughter of Hugh Fraser and Janet Fraser. 
Children of William and Ann Mitchell:
- Janet (Jessie) Mitchell was born in 1825 in Forfar, Angus, Scotland and died 3 March 1888 in Kingsmuir, Forfar, Angus, Scotland.
- James Mitchell was born August 28, 1826 in Angus, Scotland and died December 2, 1901 in Ontario, Canada.
- David Mitchell was born February 16, 1829 in North Meathie, Angus, Scotland and died March 25, 1916 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Hugh Mitchell was born 1831 in Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland and died January 26, 1904.
- Isabella Mitchell was born 25 May 1833 in Auchetgraven, Angus, Scotland and died December 20, 1904. Married Menzies.
- Ann Mitchell was born 1837 in North Meathie, Angus, Scotland and died January 20, 1887 in a ship wreck off the coast of Brazil. She married James Sherriff.
- Charles Mitchell was born in June 1838 in Forfar, Angus, Scotland and died on September 17, 1911, at Ontario, Canada.
- Andrew Murray Mitchell was born in 1841 (twin to William) in Meathie, Angus, Scotland and died at Upper Yarra in 1864.
- William Mitchell was born in1841 in Meathie, Angus, Scotland died in 1906 in Cobden, Victoria, Australia.
- John Watt Mitchell b: 1846/1847 in Forfar, Angus, Scotland and died March 5, 1918 in Richmond, Victoria, Australia.
Other evidence of the family was found in the Forfar Free Churchwest church records 1939, 1840-52 in Scotland by the Fenwicks.
Parish roll and communicants:
William Mitchell, farmer
Jess Mitchell (Janet), 17
James, 14 born abt 1825-26.
Note: There were many Mitchells and Frazers in Forfar and on this roll. 
June 7, 1841 Census
William Mitchell, farmer, not born in county.
Ann Mitchell, 35, not born in county.
James Mitchell, 13, born in county.
David Mitchell, 12, born in county.
Isobell, 6, born in county.
Ann, age 4, born in county.
Charles, age 2, born in county.
In 1861 Ann was listed as a widow farming 40 acres at North Meathie, Forfar, Angus with her sons Hugh and John Mitchell and grandsons James, David and Charles Robbie.
Ann died on April 11, 1864 in Meathie, Forfar, Angus, Scotland. Her testaments and inventory were recorded on May 20, 1864 in the Forfar Sheriff Court (5 pages).
Inventory & Latter Will, of Ann Fraser or Mitchell, farmer who died at North Mains of Meathie Parish of Forfar on 11th April 1864, one of the executors is Hugh Mitchell, son of the deceased, now fanner at Meathie who resided with her there, on a tack (lease) from the John Watt esquire of Meathie (the landowner) dated 12th September 1855, to her son, John Mitchell presently at Kincaldrum, her 8 day clock; to Charles Mitchell, her son presently residing with her £10, to with shares to her children: Janet Mitchell, spouse to William Bowman, vintner in Forfar; to Isobell Mitchell, spouse to Robert Menzies, porter (in) Stanley; to Ann Mitchell, spouse to James Sheriff, farmer at Newbigging; to James Mitchell, Port Union Station, Canada; to David and William Mitchell, residing in Richmond, Melbourne; to Andrew Mitchell at Melbourne- witnessed at North Meathie on 2nd February 1864 by David Crighton, writer hereof in Forfar and by John Hutchison, his coachman there. 
 Barry R. Huntsinger 7TO 10th Ave N, Estherville, Iowa, 51334, United States. Email: email@example.com
(Our research has included commissioned work by professional genealogists: Robert & Penny Fenwick, Perth Scotland; Caroline Makein, Certificate in Scottish Family History from Stirling University, author and ancestry researcher for over 30 years; Doris B. Bourrie, CGRS (Retired), Thornhill, Ontario; former university instructor in genealogy, researcher and author, as well as several individual researchers.)
 Bradley Boal’s research.
 CH3/1530/voll7. Forfar Free Churchwest, Parish roll and communicants 1939, 1840-52.
 1841 (7 June) Census, Dist 288, Forfar Parish.
 SC47/40/VOL 30. Forfar Sheriff Court inventories; 20 May 1864. Bradley Boal, whose mother is in the Mitchell family from which David descends, is a fellow researcher in Australia. Barry Huntsinger the complete genealogy for this family. Bradley Boal reviewed the above and confirmed it as correct on 27 Mar 2019.